Thursday 21 July 2011

Money Laundering and other Taxing Services

I was doing my taxes the other day, and it made me think about how great things were in the good ole days.  Remember how simple life used to be?  Someone would mail you a little carbon slip to let you know how much money you made.  All you had to do – as a law-abiding citizen – was run your finger along a little line in the tax guide, and you’d know how much tax you had to pay.  You’d write a cheque for that amount, then go drink yourself blind or shoot yourself in the head, whichever was most expedient.  Things were simple back then.

Now, figuring out your taxes is a profession in itself.  Actually, it’s several professions; taxes now have their own accountants and own lawyers, the lucky little things.  Soon they may have their own psychiatrists…

Which brings me to banking (and other insanities).  I remember when you’d take your paycheck and give it to the bank for a little while.  Then you’d go back a few weeks later to take out cash for certain life essentials like beer and pharmaceuticals.  All the money would still be there plus some extra cash you made on your money, called interest.  Things have changed radically since then.  Interest is passé.  Sort of like digital watches…

Now when you put your money in the bank (which of course you don’t…you put it in a cute little automatic teller machine where it mixes with everyone else’s little packets of money in terribly amoral ways) – but back to the point.  The point is, that when you go back to draw it out again, you find less than the amount you deposited.  Most of your money is there, but so is something else called a Service Charge.

I must admit I’m baffled by this need for a service charge.  I mean, exactly what services did these people feel it necessary to perform for my money?  Did they take it on field trips?  Have it drycleaned and botoxed to iron out the wrinkles?

Frankly, I’m getting fed up.  If they’re going to take my money out on the town and show it a good time, the least they can do is teach it how to reproduce…

2 comments:

  1. I'm all for that... maybe it could reproduce in my wallet. Not sure the bills hang around long enough to get beyond a little elevator-style flirtation. Change is another matter all together. The loonies get a few quickies in and leave behind a litter of pennies when they go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laugh! I have a pile of procreating pennies too. Whereas my bills are just too particular.

    ReplyDelete